ADS


Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Which Dashcams do I use in my truck?

I currently use two Dashcams. One is a Mobius, the other, an HP F-200. I recommend both, but each has some unique characteristics. The Mobius is more suited for somebody comfortable with tinkering with computers, programs, apps. The Mobius is used in various applications, from onboard video on R/C aircraft, 'action' videos, and as a dashcam.
There is no built-in display on the Mobius. You will need to download the video to a computer to view the video, or remove the memory card and play it via a computer. (Or other device).

Mobius 1080P HD Action Camera - $79.95
from: Spy Tec


The Mobius uses standard tripod mounts. You can find many inexpensive mounts on Amazon!
The Mobius is small, unobtrusive, and does pretty well as a 'stealth' dashcam. It's not much bigger than a matchbox. It's powered via the USB port, and you can use various USB cables, or power cords for other electronic products, like most Garmin GPS units.
Truckers, if you want to use a Mobius in your big truck, make sure you have a laptop with you. You will need a laptop to configure the camera, and download or view the videos. There are programs and adapters to configure the Mobius, and download video via a smartphone, but I have not used them. I have a laptop with me all the time, anyway.
The video quality is good, and you can vary the settings via the configuration program.
This is not a 'plug and play' dashcam! You will need a laptop for initial configuration, and periodic updates, checking settings, downloading video files, etc.
The Mobius has a strong following by avid users, and there is a lot of info online for specific uses, and tweaks.
I like the small form factor. Make sure you position the Mobius where you can see the small LED flashing to monitor it is recording and working properly. The LED is small!






The second dashcam I'm using is the HP F200. It has a decent video screen, fairly simple menu, and good quality video. The current price on Amazon is not so great, keep checking for a better price. This is a better dashcam for 'plug and play' type operation, with the exception that the one I bought arrived with Russian language menu selected. It took some fumbling to awitch it to English.
I will be honest, I don't use most of the features of this camera. I just set the time, put a 32gb card in it, and stuck it in my windshield.
This is a Chinese made camera, and I do see some other branded cameras that are probably clones, or the same camera as the HP F200. The HP F210 model has a built in GPS, and has some negative reviews. I've been happy with the F200.
The F200 uses standard tripod threaded type mounts, and has threaded holes on both the top, and bottom of the camera.
It is not huge, but not inconspicuous. It also powers via the USB port. I prefer dashcams to power this way.



Both of these cameras have turned out to be pretty reliable, and produce good video.


No comments:

Post a Comment