ADS


Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Using 'action' cams in a big truck

Along with my dashcams, I usually carry an 'action' cam in my truck when I travel.
Most action cams will easily attach to your  windshield with available suction cup type mounts.
They  do not replace dedicated 'dashcams'!
Most action cams will not 'loop' video files, and do not  have the ability to be powered continuously during use.

My current favorite is my old Contour Roam HD.   It's simple to use, rugged, and produces good 1080p video.
Once attached in the windshield, you only  need to use one button to start or stop recording.  Simple.
Another handy feature is the ability to rotate the lens, altering the orientation of the produced video, or expanding mounting possibilities.
The Contour does have ONE standard tripod mount thread hole on the bottom.
Here's some fresh sample video from the Contour Roam HD, at night, and during the day.







The current model is the Roam2, and I recommend  it!



Recently I picked up a JVC Adixxion GC-XA1.  I like it, also.   The video is good.  It does have many more features than the Roam HD.   It's also small and appears rugged.
 It's not as simple to operate, and I  find the various buttons you need to push to operate the camera, or navigate the menu, have a vague feel.    You'll need to press two buttons to start initial recording, as opposed to one large slide switch on the Contour.
I've yet to explore the many features of the JVC.     I do like the camera, it's just not as easy to use as the Contour, when mounted in a big truck.   The LCD screen is a minor convenience.  You canv't really do much with it when you  are using the camera on a suction cup mount in the windshield
.   It's primarily useful for reviewing video when you don't have access to a laptop, or want to connect to one.   There are also apps available to review videos via a smartphone, and the built in wifi, but I have not had luck configuring these apps.




The Adixxion has two standard tripod type mount holes, one on the bottom, one on the side.   I'm still trying to find a small suction cup mount that will work well in the bottom mounting position, when attached to inside of the truck windshield.    (Ideally getting the camera as high up in the windshield as possible.)
I'm using the side attachment thread with a suction cup type mount, currently.

One downside to the Adixxion which surfaced during my normal use.  The battery life is not great.
Maybe an hour of continuous use.
I usually stick either the JVC or Adixxion up in the windshield only when anticipating passing through a scenic area, or if the opportunity presents itself in traffic backups.  Sometimes I'll leave an action cam mounted in the windshield during the day, flipping it on periodically.
The Contour roam does better in this usage, easier to turn on, and the battery life seems much better.

Amazon does sell a charger battery pack combo that works well, is inexpensive, and works with both Adixxion models. You will want a spare battery if you buy an Adixxion, the battery life is pretty modest.










Here's some video from the JVC Adixxion.





Amazon also sells the Adixxion2, a newer, more expensive model, with more features.

Overall, for occasional use in a truck, the Contour Roam2 wins out. It's much simpler, easy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment